Monday 23 April 2012

Let us share this with you...

Since "The Voice" began, there have been record breaking ratings and we have watched real talent be put on show. There seems to be a consensus that we are just plain bored of the humiliating auditions where judges break you down before they hand you your rejection. There is, of course, still those shows but less people seem to be watching.
"The Voice" has taken the most painful, agonizing part of the process out and given Australia a taste of what's really out there. The coaches are honest but never cruel in their evaluations of a performance. They have even let people go that were amazing.
There is a great mix of professional singers as well as people stepping up for the first time. Being a professional singer, there has been some emphasis put on the fact that I am a professional singer and that in some way I must have an advantage. That pros maybe, should not be eligible for a program like "The Voice". But then, why not? For years there have been shows to help people who are not professional. The words "professional singer" does not equate to successful artist. They are two very different things and the talent on this show is a perfect example. You have people who have been lead roles in musicals, people who have had record deals, people who have written for other artists, sung for other artists. People that have worked the circuit for years and probably sung for you in your local bar. Should they just be happy with that and go about their business? That they have had their time? That they shouldn't want to share their talent with anyone? What a shame that would be.
We have been around for a long time, yes. We have a wealth of experience, yes. Are we just someone who would like a chance to be heard and be able to share our talent. Yes!
I read on twitter "Give the newbies a go". Well, they are getting a go and so are we. I was a newbie once. It feels like yesterday when I got my first gig and time flew and before I knew it, I was 28. As a newbie, I was not ready to take on what a show like this means. I would have fallen through the cracks and disappeared. Instead I took my time and learnt as much as I could. Does that mean, now that I feel ready for this part of my life to begin that it's too late for me? I certainly hope not.
As we have seen in the last week of, there is room for everyone in this show and in music. Oldies and newbies. Bring em all on I say!!!
I was the first to say I would NEVER be in a talent show, but when I look at the talent that I know, Prinnie, Mahalia Barnes, Darren Percival, Diana Rouvas, Glenn Cunningham and so many more, I realise that we all want the same thing, to share what we have done and loved for years, with you.
Come on everyone, jump on for the ride!!!

1 comment:

  1. My family are along for the ride. As you already know from Twitter, I first saw you backing Stan Walker and I thought you were GREAT then. I have no problem with those of you already in the industry competing, I can't see why not. The newbies DO get spat out after winning other comps sometimes due to lack of experience, so I think you are spot on!

    ReplyDelete