Wednesday 18 April 2012

A new journey begins...


I could have put more thought into that title but that is precisely what is happening to me right now. Being a professional singer for a good 10 years I decided to take a leap of faith and audition for a little show called "The Voice Australia". Turns out people are actually interested in hearing great talent, even though they have been bombarded for years with talent shows. I have never been caught up in the hype of shows like this but The Voice seems to have filled a gaping hole in TV and in music. I can say now I am caught in the eye of this wondrous storm.
For those who didn't see, the premise of this show is that the coaches cannot see who is singing and make a decision to have you on their team purely on vocal talent. All four coaches turned for me (Keith Urban, Joel Madden, Delta Goodrem and Seal) in which case I get to choose whom I would like to work with. I chose Joel Madden. Being a soul influenced singer, many friends wondered why I made such a choice. They assumed I would choose Seal. But I never make assumptions. I went into my blind audition with an open mind and had my question at the ready. What people didn't get to see on TV was that I asked all 4 coaches what they thought were the defining qualities that make a great artist. I knew that question would help me make my decision. While every single coach had great things to say, I felt Joel could see the artist I really want to be. He was/is passionate and very honest. He said "when everyone tells you you're crazy, I'll be crazy with you, I'll fight for you". That was that. I was #TeamJoel all the way!!
I have often in my life done things that everyone else said would'nt work or was crazy, but I did it anyway. Sometimes it didn't work but then other times it worked so well I surprised myself. I was told that my look was a little too different or "I don't really know where to place you". Point is, I stuck it out and I released 2 albums independently and sung for Australia's best singers and I am proud of that. Now, I'm here, ready to do ME!!! So let the journey begin...

No comments:

Post a Comment