Friday 6 April 2012

Secrets...


I can remember very faintly being told to "not tell anyone" alot of things as a child as to not get in trouble. I was forever asked by older siblings to "keep a secret". Of course, I didn't. I let Mum know what her birthday present was, what restaurant we were going to and many other important details I felt she had to know. I have never been one to keep too many secrets because in my mind, most secrets only lead somewhere disastrous.  I do have secrets but none that could land me in jail but I can't say I'm particularly mysterious either. It did though, get me thinking about the many secrets I have been told and kept (as an adult). Are there really "good" and "bad" secrets?
                  By definition a secret is: not known or seen or not meant to be known or seen by others.
A "good" secret would be not telling your bestie you are coming from far away to suprise her for her birthday. In theory, yes that sounds ideal. But in reality, she may have wanted a quiet one in, with the significant other or the family pet. Who knows? No harm done though.
A "bad" secret, well, this could go anywhere. As I write, a million terrible scenarios race through my mind, which leads me to believe that nearly all secrets are "bad" secrets. And the bad secrets get found out, eventually.
The pressure on the "keeper" of these secrets becomes unbearable and, perhaps, not on purpose, they let slip or leave hints of their little secret. This can only lead to someone else now becoming the keeper of your secret. And so the web is slowly weaved. More and more people know your secret because it is human nature to air other people's dirty laundry. Some of the worst moments of history can be traced back to a secret or the cover up of a secret. What a mess!!!!
        But what if everyone knows your secret and still say nothing to you? Should you never utter a word about it? Stare at each other blankly even though you are desperate to share? Let it be the dark room in the house that no one dares venture? Converse in small talk until someone distracts you from this torture? This is entirely possible, but how can your relationships with people you love ever be the same if you can't speak freely, about good and bad?
                I have personally seen secrets become the best things they can be, healers. Once revealed for all to see, a secret can be a huge weight off one's shoulders, a way to face your fears. Your secret can become your story.
I still can't keep secrets (excluding silly little ones) nor do I want to... I would probably blurt it out in my sleep anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, secrets can be tiring to keep that's for sure and once you keep one a precedent has been set and the little bag of secrets gets heavier..Although it seems that sometimes secrets lose some of their emphasis over time and may indeed fade into minor facts...Great blog post too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me feel less bad! Kinda... xxx

    ReplyDelete